Freeing Your Arms
A new 6 week series starts Sunday, November 12th at 9am!
November 12th to December 17th.
Live & in-person
Drop-in as you wish or take the whole series
*If you miss a class or the times & days don’t fit into your schedule you can still purchase the series and receive the audio recordings and any instructional videos I include with the series.
(The recordings are sent out the following day class is offered.)
Classes will be held at :
3721 S Alaska St.
Seattle, WA 98118
Located in Columbia City
(There’s a parking lot next to the building and street parking is available)
|The dexterity and range of motion available in our fingers, hands, arms and shoulders outperforms any other part of our body. All day long they do the heavy lifting and relentlessly perform one task after another. It’s not uncommon to experience discomfort, injury and for some, chronic pain in the shoulders, arms or neck. What we often fail to understand is that the arms are part of a larger whole – the torso.
When we begin to include the pelvis, ribs, chest and spine to help support the arms moving through space, something extraordinary begins to unfold. No longer does the torso sit dormant in the background while the neck, shoulders and arms do all the heavy lifting. When the torso comes to life there’s a cohesion between body and limb and that cohesion affords you the kind of expression, power and grace to last a life time.
Who would benefit from this series?
- This series is ideal for those who experience discomfort in their hands, wrists, elbows, neck or shoulders while working at their computer or other repetitive tasks.
- This series is ideal for gardeners, athletes or dancers who want to organize their arms more efficiently for the activities they enjoy and avoid injury.
What you’ll discover and learn in this series:
- You’ll learn how to access support from the ground up to free your arms for light and effortless action.
- You’ll recognize habitual movement patterns that don’t serve you and learn to organize and refine, moment by moment, a new motor plan – a seamless connection between your torso and arms.
- You’ll learn to take these lessons into your upright world where you can begin to apply them skillfully and patiently where it matters most to you.
Awareness Through Movement®
Ongoing classes from September 2023 through June 2024.
Awareness Through Movement® Classes are a dynamic approach to learning through movement. You’ll learn to skillfully use your attention to sense where you get stuck, lost or use excess effort as you move. As your awareness grows, your ability to move with greater ease, elegance & fluidity will become easier and easier.
In each class I verbally guide you through a series of gentle movement sequences that are done lying on the floor, sitting or sometimes standing. Each lesson is precisely crafted to improve basic functions in everyday movements such as, reaching, rolling, flexing, extending, twisting, side-bending, sitting, standing or walking. Awareness Through Movement lessons vary in difficulty and generally last from 45 to 60 minutes. All ages and movement abilities are welcome to attend class.
(Prerequisite: must be able to safely lie down on the floor and return to standing.)
“About a year ago, I found Sarah’s class at Velocity Dance and started attending more regularly. For me, she strikes a nice balance between leading me through the movements and yet challenging me to interpret it on my own. Her voice is soothing, easy to listen to. Her attitude is open and encouraging. After each session, I feel taller and lighter; my head and shoulders are stacked more over my hips and feet. My posture feels upright and easy to maintain. The longer I attend, the more natural and easy movement becomes. This seems to be the kind of practice one can do indefinitely into the future, and one that will benefit me even more as I continue to age.”
Benefits of Awareness Through Movement® Classes
- Experience greater flexibility, balance and coordination.
- Stand taller & move more efficiently with less effort or strain.
- Learn to reduce and recover from tension and pain caused by injury or over use.
- Develop internal strength through ideal organization.
- Learn to refine and improve your favorite activities in a new way.
- Reduce anxiety and tap into a more quiet state of mind and body.
- learn to use your attention more skillfully and become more self-aware.
- Experience a renewed sense of vitality and joy.
- Learn to sense habitual movement patterns that get in your way and create new options that support you.
- Become more curious, resourceful and skilled at improving the way you move, care for yourself and live your life.
“There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one you in all time, this expression is unique. And, if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost.”