New Location & New Class Series
a Keystone to Your Vitality!
A new 6 week series starts Saturday, April 6th at 8:30 am!
(April 6th to May 12th)
Live & in-person
Drop-in as you wish or take the whole series
*If you miss a class or the times & days don’t fit into your schedule
you can still purchase the series and receive the audio recordings
and any instructional videos I include with the series.
New class location:
604 19th Ave E
Seattle, WA 98112
Located on Capitol Hill
(free street parking is available)
In celebration of moving to this wonderful new space I’m extending an Introductory Offer
to anyone who signs up for the whole series. (Big Savings!) Class cards or drop-in options are also available.
It’s fair to say that most of us have an idea or an image in our mind of what good posture looks like, but it’s probably not so clear as to how one arrives at this heightened place of grace we call good posture. No doubt, we have all made the futile attempts to erect our spine, throw back our shoulders, tuck our chin and freeze. Seconds pass and we slink back into what’s familiar and habitual.
How do we begin to unravel the conditioning and confusion that’s bound to our image of good posture and move toward something better? We’ll begin by redefining the term, good posture.
This series is ideal for:
- Anyone who is noticing changes in their posture and would like a more integrative and holistic approach to improving their posture and one that they can sustain and maintain as they continue to age.
- This series is ideal for anyone new to Awareness Through Movement classes as well as the more experienced student.
What you’ll learn in this series:
- You’ll quickly discover that good posture is not about maintaining a static, rigid and upright stance. Moshe Feldenkrais describes good posture as having the potential for action, spontaneity, self expression, dignity, poise and power.
- You’ll learn that Improving your posture has less to do with this part or that part and learn that good posture involves your whole self – bringing all of your parts online into a more cohesive upright whole.
- You’ll discover the difference between skeletal support and muscular effort and where these two worlds meet for ideal posture.
- You’ll lean to stand taller with less effort and move with more freedom, vitality and ease.
- You’ll learn to sense and trust your own internal experience as a means for refinement, self-care, insight and growth. Your Patience, curiosity and compassion will help pave the way as you continue to progress.
Awareness Through Movement ® Classes
Ongoing classes from September 2023 through June 2024.
Awareness Through Movement® Classes are a dynamic approach to learning through movement. You’ll learn to skillfully use your attention to sense where you get stuck, lost or use excess effort as you move. As your awareness grows, your ability to move with greater ease, elegance & fluidity will become easier and easier.
In each class I verbally guide you through a series of gentle movement sequences that are done lying on the floor, sitting or sometimes standing. Each lesson is precisely crafted to improve basic functions in everyday movements such as, reaching, rolling, flexing, extending, twisting, side-bending, sitting, standing or walking. Awareness Through Movement lessons vary in difficulty and generally last from 45 to 60 minutes. All ages and movement abilities are welcome to attend class.
(Prerequisite: must be able to safely lie down on the floor and return to standing.)
“About a year ago, I found Sarah’s class at Velocity Dance and started attending more regularly. For me, she strikes a nice balance between leading me through the movements and yet challenging me to interpret it on my own. Her voice is soothing, easy to listen to. Her attitude is open and encouraging. After each session, I feel taller and lighter; my head and shoulders are stacked more over my hips and feet. My posture feels upright and easy to maintain. The longer I attend, the more natural and easy movement becomes. This seems to be the kind of practice one can do indefinitely into the future, and one that will benefit me even more as I continue to age.”
Benefits of Awareness Through Movement® Classes
“There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one you in all time, this expression is unique. And, if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost.”